Monday 28 March 2011

Setting up the project: 1 . Statement, Starting Point :

I am a painter and my preferred medium is oil on canvas.
When I paint my aim is to try to capture the essence of all that is familiar in my surroundings. My subjects range from landscape to seascape, from a plant to a piece of fruit. I am interested in our ever changing environment and how everyday things which we take for granted can be transformed; by light, the seasons, weather and man.

I strive to translate what I see into artwork that will enrich the viewers’ lives and provide them with a different perspective. I want to share my vision of a world constantly in flux and through that enable them to develop a new awareness of their environment and their place with in it.

The scale of my work is as important as the subject matter; it is the physical equivalent to what it is representing. When I paint a large outdoor landscape the canvas I choose to paint on must be as large as I feel the landscape to be. I try to create an impact in scale that mirrors the emotional and physical one I am trying to capture.
In my work it is imperative to work from life and not from photographs and second hand imagery. Being out there interacting with my environment is being alive - real! Working from photographs is a miserable and meaner experience, the vitality and essence of what I want to capture is lost.

Doing the work in situ is the work, there is no other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment